Monday, August 20, 2012

Watermelon...mmm...yum..

This afternoon my best friend brought me a huge seedless watermelon that she bought on the side of the road from a guy in a pick up truck for only a few dollars.  So, I put it in the fridge and decided I would cut it up after dinner tonight.  Now don't get me wrong, I have cut pieces of watermelon sure, but I realized as I heaved the huge melon onto the countertop that I should probably "google" how to cut it up properly because from what I could remember ... I had not. 

so... here are a few tips so you can cut a watermelon like a pro in your own kitchen!!

HOW TO CUT WATERMELON 

Ever get intimidated at where to start when cutting up watermelon? Our step-by-step photo tutorial takes the mystery out of cutting up watermelon into uniform wedges or cubes.
 
Here's how to cut watermelon wedges
watermelon carving watermelon carving watermelon carving
  1. Cut watermelon in half lengthwise.
  2. Cut each half in half again lengthwise.
  3. Cut each quarter into slices as pictured above.

To Cut Watermelon Cubes
watermelon carving watermelon carving
watermelon carvingwatermelon carving watermelon carving

To de-seed a watermelon:
  1. Cut watermelon in half, then in quarters.
  2. Cut through the flesh of the melon along the seed line with a pairing knife. Now, lift off the piece of the melon you just cut.
  3. Using a fork, scrape the seeds from the piece you just removed and the remaining flesh on the rind.

I cut half of the watermelon up into nice little square/rectangle pieces by using the directions above and ... it turned out perfect!  Take a look....


I hope this was helpful to you and good luck with your watermelon cutting :)  I am so excited to have so much watermelon left over .. you may not be able to tell from the picture but that is my biggest bowl ... it is huge!!  I will post some other recipes for things I make this week out of all this watermelon ... until then... enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment